Shoeboxes are an incredible opportunity to show God’s love in action, as well as share God’s love in words, reaching children in need through the local church.
You can do this during your church service by:
- Beginning and ending with Operation Christmas Child focused prayers
- Reading Operation Christmas Child stories
- Watching Operation Christmas Child videos
- Prayer is the cornerstone of Operation Christmas Child, and we encourage you to make prayer the foundation of all your planning and activities.
- If there is a prayer ministry group in your church, share requests to pray for opportunities to integrate Operation Christmas Child into outreach and missions plans for the year.
- Encourage your church prayer groups to pray during National Collection Week 9-16th November.
- Host a Shoebox Sunday Celebration for Operation Christmas Child. Show a video to share the heart of the Operation Christmas Child ministry.
- Cast the vision for making Operation Christmas Child a mission opportunity for the entire congregation.
- Purchase our decorative GO Boxes with How to Pack a Shoebox leaflet placed inside to give to members of the congregation. Order from our Resources Page
Dedication Service (Sunday before the cut-off date of 16th November)
- Have one girl and one boy come forward and pray over the gifts during the service.
- The pastor’s message can be about giving to the poor, fulfilling the Great Commission, and other lessons on showing the love of Christ to the world.
INVOLVE YOUR YOUNG PEOPLE
- Each teen puts together a team that consists of himself/herself and 3 non-churched friends from school. They all participate in a scavenger hunt where they ask people to donate items to be placed in shoe boxes. Go to a dentist office and ask for toothbrushes, local stores to ask for school supplies etc. The teens have a list of things to find and then meet back at church to pack boxes.
- Serve at the local Operation Christmas Child shoebox Processing Centre (for those 13 and older). Contact us at email@example.com for information on locations and how to get involved.
Children’s Church/Sunday School
Engage with your local schools through the Christmas Values programme
- Develop meaningful relationships with your local school by helping to deliver Religious Education as well as other aspects of the curriculum, while at the same time, sharing about the mission of OCC and packing more shoeboxes for children across the world.
- ‘Christmas Values’ is a 4 lesson course designed in partnership with teachers and education trusts across the UK. It is a curriculum based program, designed around the Christmas story from the Bible.
- The lessons seek to share the real story of Christmas through a thematic program of values. While exploring these values of fairness, generosity, esteem and individuality, we hope to demonstrate the importance and impact of Operation Christmas Child, as well as other compassion based charities.
- These lessons help deliver the RE and SMSC curriculum, fundamental British values, as well as helping with literacy skills through writing and discussion. The course is targeted at Key Stage 2.
- Why not arrange a group trip to your nearest processing center and check shoeboxes together as a church? For details of your nearest team contact: Info@samaritans-purse.org.uk
- For year round volunteer opportunities, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be contacted by the Regional Manager for your area, who will be delighted to discuss the various options with you.